CR/001755 Lead Materials Laboratory Specialist
Location: Oxford – Swindon – SN3 4PE
Job type: Contract – inside IR35 – PAYE Umbrella only
Salary: £27.96 ph
Duration: To the end of the year – possible on rolling contract
Our client, who is based in Swindon, Oxford, is an automotive parts and accessories manufacture, who produces steel pressings, body panels and complex sub-assemblies.
* To perform specialist, laboratory based, Materials Technology activities within a specified discipline of metals, as dictated by business requirements and production needs.
* Provide specialist materials technology support to all relevant Laboratory process partners.
* Execute technical process control of materials related production processes, support the approval of Materials, Components and Processes for use in production – to ensure that materials technology and related production processes all adhere to BMW Group policies, procedures and guidelines.
* Support the development of problem containment solutions, Understand and contribute to the elimination of materials related problems and issues arising from field and performance testing to ensure that all materials related problems and issues are resolved and, wherever possible, prevented through the continuous improvement of processes and working practices.
* Define and carry out test plans and materials investigations using specialist materials testing methods and analysis.
* Carry out Laboratory service activities across UK sites and Laboratories.
* Design and maintain appropriate process and materials databases.
* Conclude and recommend materials investigation activity results
* Apply broad knowledge in appropriate materials & processing technologies, testing and analysis techniques.
* Demonstrate a good level of problem solving and use of quality tools.
* Determine problem root cause and identify appropriate recommendations for robust resolution within problem resolution teams.
* Working safely with experience in ISO, REACH, MSDSs etc.
* Communication and presentation skills at all levels.
* Flexibility, teamwork and coaching skills
* Develops technical interfaces with all technology partners & within the Technical Laboratory organisation
* Develop and propose control limits within materials related processes.
* Recognise the severity of a problem & prioritise actions.
* Evaluation of current laboratory practices, procedures & equipment & propose requirements for improvement.
* Recommend appropriate actions to deliver robust problem resolution activities when materials features are critical.
* Following process reviews parameter alterations are identified to improve process time and /or quality outputs.
* Document all relevant activities, investigations in Lab reports and IT systems
Skills and qualifications required:
* 5+ years’ experience in a laboratory environment
* 3+ years’ experience in automotive production
* Some hands-on experience of laboratory-based material analysis
* Self-motivation and reliability essential.
* High degree of self-motivation and reliability essential
* Capable of working alone or in a multi-functional team.
* Working knowledge of Problem Resolution Techniques.
* Knowledge of Health and Safety and Environmental impacts.
* Technical apprenticeship desirable.
* Broad knowledge of production processes and BMW wider business to support technical knowledge
* Science based education and experience relevant to job role.
* Qualified to Degree level, in a Materials or Process related field.
* Good Communication and presentation skills
* Some German language ability.
* Membership of a professional institution is desirable.
You must be eligible to work in the UK to apply for this role.